Benefits for Children

If your child has just been diagnosed with a bleeding disorder, here’s our summary of the financial help to which you may be entitled:

Disability Living Allowance (DLA)

While many families are successful in claiming DLA not all children with bleeding disorders will be eligible for support. It is important to know that even though your child has been diagnosed with a bleeding disorder, they are not automatically entitled to DLA. It can be difficult to get DLA for a baby or an infant because all children of that age need a lot of care, however, your child may need more care, attention or supervision.

To qualify for Disability Living Allowance (DLA) the child must:

To qualify for DLA for children the child must:

  • be under 16 – anyone over 16 must apply for Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
  • need extra looking after or have walking difficulties
  • be in England, Wales, a European Economic Area (EEA) country or Switzerland when you claim – there are some exceptions, such as family members of the Armed Forces
  • have lived in Great Britain for at least 6 of the last 12 months, if over 3 years’ old
  • be habitually resident in the UK, Ireland, Isle of Man or the Channel Islands
  • not be subject to immigration control

Children under three

  • A child under 6 months must have lived in Great Britain for at least 13 weeks.
  • A child aged between 6 months and 3 years must have lived in Great Britain for at least 26 of the last 156 weeks

The process is different in Northern Ireland.

If your child currently lives in Scotland, you need to apply for Child Disability Payment instead.

We recommend that parents of children under 16 who have severe or moderate haemophilia A or B, or von Willebrand disease type 3, consider making a claim for Disability Living Allowance (DLA). If your child has mild haemophilia or one of the rarer bleeding disorders, it may be more difficult to show that they meet the conditions for receiving DLA.

Speak to your haemophilia centre nursing team if you need more help filling in the form. You can also ask them to check your form before you send it off. It’s a good idea to keep a copy of your completed form. You can take it with you to your assessment and use it to make sure that you don’t forget anything you want to mention.

To claim DLA for a child print off and fill in the DLA claim form

For more information on applying for DLA we have a factsheet available here.

Find out if you are eligible for vehicle tax exemption or tax reduction.

You could be taken to court or have to pay a penalty if you give wrong information or do not report a change in your circumstances. Contact the benefits helpline for more information.

Disabled parking – Blue badge scheme 

All blue badge applications (new and renewals) are assessed on an individual needs basis. Generally, children under the age of two are not eligible for a blue badge.

However, if your child is under 3 and needs to be close to a vehicle, you’ll need to explain this is because one of the following reasons:

  • transport medical equipment (ventilators, suction machines, feed pumps or oxygen administration equipment)
  • get home or to a hospital quickly

If your child’s condition means they might need to go to the hospital or home quickly, describe why in as much detail as you can. For example, you should explain if they have a bleed or injury they need treatment urgently.

If your child is over three years old and has severe mobility problems you may qualify for a Blue Badge. You should describe your child’s condition in as much detail as you can.

Councils can charge for a blue badge.  They cost up to £10 in England and £20 in Scotland. It’s free in Wales. They usually last up to 3 years

Blue Badge scheme: information from your council

Carer’s Allowance

If your child receives either the middle or higher rate of the care component of DLA you may be eligible for Carer’s Allowance if you, the person you care for. The person you care for must already get Disability Living Allowance – the middle or highest care rate. If someone else also cares for the same person as you, only one of you can claim Carer’s Allowance.

Carer’s Allowance can affect the other benefits that both you and the person you care for get.

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a payment to help with your living costs. You may be able to get it if you’re on a low income, out of work or you cannot work.

Other options

If, after applying for state help, you/your family are still struggling to make ends meet, there are various organisations and charities that may be able to help through a grant.

Turn2us helps people in financial need gain access to welfare benefits, charitable grants and other financial help.

Related content

Other financial support for Adults

Disabled parking – Blue Badge A Blue Badge is a badge that allows people with…
Read more Read more