Other financial support for Adults

Disabled parkingBlue Badge

A Blue Badge is a badge that allows people with disabilities to park closer to their destination. It can be used on-street in designated disabled parking bays and off-street in car parks, showing the Blue Badge symbol.

Who can apply for a Blue Badge?

You can apply for a Blue Badge if you have a severe mobility difficulty, whether it’s permanent or temporary. This could be because of:

  • a walking difficulty that covers a distance of about 50 metres
  • difficulty getting to or from a vehicle

You can also apply if you’re blind, partially sighted or have a severe mental disability that affects your ability to park.

How to apply for a Blue Badge

You can apply for a Blue Badge online through your local council’s website or government website. You will need to provide some documentation, such as a letter from your doctor or other healthcare professional.

How to use a Blue Badge

When you park using your Blue Badge, you must:

  • display the badge clearly on the windscreen of your vehicle
  • ensure the clock portion of the badge shows your arrival time

Submission and Processing:

  • Once you’ve completed the application and uploaded the required documents, submit it online.
  • Your local council will then process your application, which may involve contacting you for further information.
  • There may be a fee associated with obtaining a Blue Badge, which varies depending on the region (up to £10 in England, £20 in Scotland, free in Wales).

Additional Points:

  • Some councils may still offer paper applications. Contact your local council to inquire about their preferred method.
  • The processing time can vary, so factor that in when applying.
  • Remember to reapply before your current Blue Badge expires (usually valid for up to 3 years).
  • It is an offence to misuse a Blue Badge. This could include using someone else’s badge, parking in a disabled bay without a badge, or not displaying the badge correctly. You could be fined up to £1000 for misusing a Blue Badge.

Vehicle tax exemption

Vehicle tax exemption, also known as exemption from Vehicle Excise Duty (VED), applies to certain categories of vehicles in the UK as of 2024. Here’s a breakdown:

Who gets it:

  • Fully Electric Vehicles (EVs): These are the only vehicles completely exempt from VED. This exemption is planned to end from April 2025 onwards, with EVs subject to a lower tax rate.
  • Other categories (with some exceptions):
    • Vehicles used by a disabled person (requires applying for disability exemption)
    • Disabled passenger vehicles
    • Historic vehicles (usually over 40 years old)
    • Mobility scooters and powered wheelchairs

Important notes:

  • The exemption for EVs applies only if they are fully electric. Hybrid or plug-in hybrids no longer qualify for the full exemption.
  • There might be specific requirements or limitations within each exemption category.

For a comprehensive list and details, you can refer to the official UK government website on vehicles exempt from vehicle tax.

Reduced Vehicle Tax:

  • You qualify for a discount on your vehicle tax if you receive either:
    • The standard rate mobility component of PIP. This offers a 50% reduction in vehicle tax.
    • The enhanced rate mobility component of PIP. This provides a full exemption from vehicle tax.

Find out if you are eligible for vehicle tax exemption or tax reduction.

Related content

Benefits for Children

If your child has just been diagnosed with a bleeding disorder, here’s our summary of…
Read more Read more