Inquiry hearings delayed due to coronavirus
Written by Jessica Bomford, March 17, 2020
The Infected Blood Inquiry has pushed back the start of its next public hearings to autumn 2020 as a result of the coronovirus outbreak.
Inquiry chair, Sir Brian Langstaff, said that the risks of the virus meant that it was no longer practical or safe to continue with the planned timetable which would have seen the investigation stage begin in June. All remaining local meetings have now been cancelled with immediate effect.
Sir Brian said that this delay did not mean the inquiry’s work was “paused” and insisted that his team would be working “full tilt” on investigations and preparations for future hearings. He added: “We remain determined to proceed to a conclusion as quickly as possible”.
The inquiry had been due to hear evidence from clinicians and others who could shed light on the policies and practices of haemophilia centres across the UK. No new date will be set for the start of public hearings until the full impact of the coronavirus is better understood.
Read Sir Brian’s comments in full here.