Study in the UK

To apply for a student visa to study in the UK, you’ll need to follow these steps:

Choose a Course and Institution: Decide the course you want to study and the institution you wish to attend. Ensure that your chosen institution is a licensed Tier 4 sponsor.

Check Visa Eligibility: Verify that you meet the eligibility criteria for a UK student visa. You must have been offered a place on a course, be able to speak, read, write, and understand English, and have enough money to support yourself during your studies.

Apply for a Course: Apply for your chosen course and receive a confirmation of acceptance for studies (CAS) from the institution. The CAS is a unique reference number that confirms your offer and contains information about your course of study.

Prepare Required Documents: Gather the necessary documents for your visa application. These typically include your passport, passport-sized photographs, evidence of English language proficiency, financial documents demonstrating your ability to cover tuition fees and living expenses, and any academic qualifications mentioned in your CAS.

Complete the Online Application Form: Visit the UK government’s official visa application website ( to complete the online application form. You must create an account, accurately fill in the required information, and pay the visa application fee.

Biometric Appointment: Once you’ve completed the online application, you must schedule an appointment to provide your biometric information (fingerprints and photograph) at a visa application centre.

Attend an Interview (if required): Depending on your country of residence, you may be required to attend an interview as part of the visa application process.

Submit Application: Attend your biometric appointment and submit your application with all required documents at the visa application centre.

Wait for a Decision: After submitting your application, you’ll need to wait for a decision on your visa application. The processing times vary depending on your location, but you can check the processing times on the UK government website.

Receive Your Visa: If your visa application is approved, you’ll receive your visa vignette (sticker) in your passport, allowing you to enter the UK. Ensure to carefully check all the details on your visa vignette for accuracy.

Remember to start the application process well before your intended travel date to allow enough time for processing and any unforeseen delays. Additionally, it’s advisable to double-check the specific requirements and procedures on the official UK government website or consult with your institution’s international student office for guidance tailored to your circumstances.

How to access the NHS while studying in the UK

If you plan to study in the UK from overseas, you must pay the Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS). This fee is paid by non-European Economic Area (EEA) nationals coming to the UK for longer than six months to study.

The IHS allows individuals to access the UK’s National Health Service (NHS) during their stay. The fee amount and payment process can vary depending on the visa length and individual circumstances.

However, immigration policies and requirements can change, so you must check the most up-to-date information on the UK government’s official immigration website or consult the relevant authorities or your educational institution for the latest guidance.

Cost for a year

You’ll have to pay:

  • £776 per year for students, dependents and those on a Youth Mobility Scheme visa, for example, £1,552 for a 2-year visa
  • £776 per year for visa and immigration applicants who are under the age of 18 at the time of application
  • £1,035 per year for all other visa and immigration applications, for example, £3,105 for a 3-year visa

More information can be found on the government website

How to get a referral to a haemophilia centre in the UK

To access health care in the UK, you must register with a General practitioner (GP) as soon as you arrive. You should register with a GP, so a doctor is in charge of your ongoing healthcare and you have a point of reference for medical concerns. Registering at a GP is free and essential. This will enable your GP to process your registration and provide you with an NHS number.

You must have an NHS number to obtain hospital treatment (non-emergency) and be referred to a bleeding disorder specialist for ongoing care and prescribed treatment. A hospital appointment can only be given following a referral letter from your GP. The letter will give the bleeding disorder specialist essential background information, such as your medical history. It will also contain details the specialist needs to pay particular attention to.

If you have been prescribed treatment or medication, such as factor treatment, bringing it with you when you are referred to a local haemophilia centre by your GP is essential. The referral process from your GP can take weeks, so it’s crucial to have your treatment with you. If you run out of treatment while waiting for your referral, please go to the Emergency Department (ED) of a hospital with a haemophilia centre. This is necessary to ensure that the ED staff can coordinate with the haemophilia centre doctors and provide you with prompt treatment.

UK treatment centres can be found here.

Please note that the information on this page is provided by GOV.UK and NHS.UK for general information only and is subject to change without notice.