Using the NHS when you return to live in the UK

If you are a UK national living abroad and are returning to live in the UK, you will be able to use the NHS for your healthcare.

You will need to complete a GMS1 form to register with a GP near your home.

Find a GP in your area

Prove you are eligible for free healthcare

The first time you have treatment anywhere in the NHS, you need to prove that you are eligible for free healthcare. You should bring at least two of the following documents:

Residence in the UK

  • Proof of your purchase of property or a tenancy agreement
  • Recent utility or council tax bill payment
  • UK bank account showing recent UK activity

Employment status

  • Payslip or letter from employer
  • Bank statement
  • Unique tax reference number
  • Documentation from your local job centre to show that you are receiving job-seekers allowance

You can also use documents that prove you no longer live abroad. For example, paperwork to show that you have:

  • sold or rented your house in your previous country of residence
  • terminated employment or studies in your previous country of residence
  • shipped goods or transferred assets to the UK
  • ended insurance policies and utility contracts

Emergency treatment

If you need A&E services, this will always be free, and you will not be asked to show that you live here unless you go to the hospital for further treatment.

Prescription Prepayment Certificates (PPCs) 

If you live in England and don’t fall into certain health or income-related categories, you will have to pay for your prescription. A PPC lets you get as many NHS prescriptions as you need for a set price. 

If you regularly pay prescription charges, a PPC could save you money. The prescription charge in England is £9.35 per item. A PPC from 1 April costs: 

  • £30.25 for 3 months 
  • £108.10 for 12 months 

People with certain medical conditions can get free NHS prescriptions if they have a valid medical exemption certificate. Having a bleeding disorder is currently not a valid medical exemption.  

Check to see if you can apply for a medical exemption certificate. If you’re not sure about the name of your condition, speak to your doctor. 

Disclaimer:  The content of this page has been provided by GOV.UK and is for general information only. It is subject to change without notice.