The APPG on Haemophilia and Contaminated Blood met on the 9th May. This will focus on support schemes for those affected by the Contaminated Blood Scandal.
The meeting was addressed by Health Minister Jackie Doyle-Price who also took questions from members and others about the contaminated blood support scheme in England. She was joined by staff from the BSA, the government body that run the English Infected Blood Support Scheme (EIBSS).
- General Issues with the changes to the support schemes in the UK, its overall budget and the future of support for people affected by contaminated blood and blood products
- The running of the Special Category Mechanism for increased payments to some people infected with Chronic Hepatitis C who did not go on to develop severe liver disease
- The support available to bereaved partners and family members
- Discretionary support which can take the form of grants, means-tested top ups and other non-financial support and is under review with changes due in July 2018
- Other Issues with the scheme or under the responsibility of the DHSC